Saturday, October 26, 2013

Friends, and homage to one friend in particular


Yesterday I was on Buzzfeed, a website with a lot of random posts about all sorts of things, when I came upon one entitled: “Twenty-nine truths about growing up in multiple cities.”  While some of them were not particularly applicable, others had a ton of significance to third-culture kids such as myself.  One of them said: “You have tons of close friends, but they all live REALLY far away.”  Story of my life let me tell you.  When I leave Europe in December I will have spent time in six different countries.  I will have been able to stay with friends in four of them.   There are people scattered all over Europe who I love, and nothing would be better than having all of them together.  However, that is not the case, and it can be hard to have friends who you don’t see for years at a time. 
            Today a friend of mine ended her internship here in Brussels.  I was headed to Germany tonight (staying with the Morans, thank you again!), so we ended up taking the same train to Germany, and we talked about how we will probably not see each other again for several years.  There really is nothing we can do except do our best to stay in touch.  However, my time in Brussels was so much fun because of Amelie.  Everything from Spades to going to Bruges to the Atomium was made more exciting because I had a friend going with me with whom I enjoyed spending time.  Thanks Amelie, and here’s to friends!

1 comment:

  1. Cheese, I don't think you could take a step without making a friend! Just goes to show, there's a little bit of Daddy in you after all ;-)

    ReplyDelete