Saturday, August 31, 2013

Le Grande Place and it's GAMEDAY!!!!!!


Oh boy!  Today is college football day!  I know for most of you this is happening like right as you get up, but for me I am anxiously waiting for 9:30 PM where I get to look at my tiny little cell phone screen and watch Michigan play :-)  

Seriously, I have it all planned out where I'm going to sit and everything, because my Internet is spotty to say the least. :-)  In honor of this day, I wore my Michigan shirt, and slept in Michigan basketball shorts.  









I LOVE college football, it's seriously the best.  It's sort of clouding my judgment, as evidenced by the fact that this is one of the first pictures that I took today.  It doesn't matter what color they are in, I only noticed one thing.  

Anyone who wants to take a stab at it, just post a comment below!












But anyways, moving on.  So Le Grande Place is the main market in Brussels, and I have to say that it is probably the most touristy part of the city that I have seen.  I guess it makes sense if you think about it.  In the medieval era, the buildings would have been covered by
stalls that were selling their wares and this place was a bustle of activity.  With the development of modern economies, we moved away from plazas like this one where all of the trading was done, but now we want to commemorate those markets by putting up stalls and stuff and making them shopping areas :-)

It was fun to go down there though, because they have some legit stuff down there like this building which I like.  I also couldn't help but notice that my favorite place to eat was centrally located--SUBWAY!!  As I walked past, there were quite a few American accents in the area.  Oh American consumerism, you have to love it :-)
 
I, on the other hand, was in no way eating down there with all of the expensive stuff.  No sir, I headed back to the place where I am staying to get lunch.  Well, actually get lunch close by, for an iconic European food.  Has anyone ever tried ordering a kebab when you don't speak French?



While I sort of know how to speak French, there's something about telling them that you want the white sauce instead of the spicy sauce and the pita instead of the tortilla that got lost in translation. :-)  However, it was still amazingly delicious.  :-)  Oh, how I love Europe!




Here's to Kebabs and Gameday!




7 comments:

  1. We had Kebabs for lunch today as well, they're definitely something we'll miss when we leave Germany. I hope the Michigan game is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds OBVIOUSLY think alike, because we drove 45 minutes to have kebaps as a family! We kept it as a surprise from the girls (until they had done their running, practicing and cleaning this morning), but they couldn't have been happier. In fact, Glo beat us all, finishing off her kebap in less than five minutes! Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with language barriers, and we got all the right fixin's ;-)

    My question is this: what is the Turks' second language there? English? French? Flemish? I must say that I'm super proud of you, Cheese, working on the French! Good job, not giving up!

    As far as that picture goes, I have no idea. Maybe Michelin something? Whatever the company, it must be "the BEST" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! I was there about a month ago! I stayed at a hostel in one of those alleys directly off from The Grand Place. If you need suggestions just let me know! My friend and I visited Mini-Europe one afternoon and had a great time. It's about a half hour there using the metro, but it's also located directly next to the iconic Atom in Brussels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but there is plenty of really cool stuff in the city itself. The Musical Instrument Museum was definitely one of my favorites!

      Delete
    2. Rachel, I TOTALLY need some ideas. What did you like to do here? And which ward did you go to if you did?

      Delete
  4. the gyros we had today were good but I sure miss turkish kebaps, I remember running with my friend eric edelenbos and getting two chicken kebaps for lunch when we came into the base

    ReplyDelete
  5. And great school colors, Ethan! Glad you're representing in Brussels ;-)

    Here in PA, kebaps are sold by the Greeks so they are gyros. I always pronounced them gee-rows, but not here--oh no. They are gy (as in JAE, or Ji)-rows. Leave it to PA to mess it all up!

    ReplyDelete