Sunday, September 15, 2013

Spontaneous Brugge trip!

So, today when I woke up I didn't really have any plans.  I was mostly waiting for the Michigan game tonight at six (I slept in my Michigan shirt and Michigan shorts, just to make sure i was supporting the team).  I went downstairs to get some breakfast, and there were some people talking about going to Bruges (Brugge) today.  I didn't really want to go because I was worried about the cost, and then I found out that it was ten euros, and then I was down to go!
  I ended up going with three girls.  One of them, Amelie, is staying at the same place that I am, and the other two, Miriam and Verena, are some other interns in her office.  She and I met them at the train station, and we headed out at 11:30.  Bruges is about an hour away, so we just talked about a variety of subjects.  Literally, after the day, we joked that we had talked about everything :-)  None of us really had a plan where we were going to do, but we got there and we saw three spires, so we decided that we were going to go see those.  These are the pictures from our trip.  We actually ended up buying tickets and going into the belfry.  It was really cool!  They have a carollin that is automated and built in the 14th century.  It was seriously cool!  We also had a fun experience with lunch/dinner.  There were only three seats at the bar-style restaurant where we were eating, and there were four of us.  However, there were seats for when they had tables outside of the restaurant, but they were way shorter than the bar.  So, I was chivalrous and say in the short chair.  It was pretty funny  :-)  So here are the pictures from the day.  I hope you enjoy!
From left to right: Verena, Miriam, and Amelie.  It seriously was an amazing trip!
So, it was raining, and this expression says it all about how I felt about it.

Here's the lunch place!  Can you tell that I'm sitting on a shorter chair?

One of the churches.  I really liked the way that
it rises us out of the other buildings.

The four of us on the main square.

Going up the belfry

A river running through the city

Another one



The church again.

This the the other big church in Bruges.

The inside of the church

The three girls on the bridge.


The second church.


A cool door

The drum of the automated carrilon

The bells of the carrilon

The belfry


On top of the belfry


We found a random statue of Papageno.  What opera is he from and who wrote the music?
Bonus points if you can get the lyricist as well.  They all knew it, thank you iconic German culture!

These guys were playing the wedding march right inside the belfry.
Given my relationship status, I was pretty happy about it :-)



Here are the two church topers rising up over the city.  How cool is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment