Thursday, September 19, 2013

Surviving a mugging and 100 days

Okay, there wasn't actually a mugging or anything of the sort, but I'm trying an experiment with my blog. I have noticed that when I have a more interesting title for my posts there are more views, so we will see if more people look at my blog.  If you are one of those people who did so, got'cha!  And thank you for all of my faithful readers and commenters :-)  This post is actually about a song that I heard on my mission and it's application to my life.  This was during the Szczecin time, which was the defining part of my mission for me.  I was with a companion who is coming to my wedding and with whom I had more success than any other time of my mission.  We had some major issues with the branch, and I was struggling with some other stuff on top of it all.  It was definitely the best part of my mission.  Anyways, this song is called "Jet Lag"  by Simple Plan, was super popular in Poland at the time.  Like, we would walk into any mall and we would hear it, we would walk into a restaurant and it would be on the radio....we heard it a lot.  The music video is about this guy who is in Europe in the airport and his girlfriend/significant other is on the other side of the world.  They miss each other terribly, and the song is about the time difference between the two, and how they are always thinking about each other and what the other is doing.  Here are the lyrics to the chorus:



 You say good morning
When it's midnight
Going out of my head
Alone in this bed
I wake up to your sunset
And it's driving me mad
I miss you so bad
And my heart, heart, heart is so jet-lagged

Without realizing it until I was already here, this is Rebecca's and my life.  There is an eight hour time difference between our lives.  I wake up at 7:40 every morning.  What time is it for her?  11:40, right as she is getting ready to go to bed.  If I got up a little earlier, then I would be waking up right when the sun is setting in Utah.  The entire song really describes rather perfectly what Rebecca and I are going through right now.  

Today is an important day for us, because it's 100 days until the two of us get married!  I am incredibly excited.  I an doing some amazing things her in Europe and she is doing a fantastic job in her MPA program, but that still doesn't make my heart feel any less "jet-lagged".  I love her SO MUCH, and I can't wait until the two of us are no longer separated by eight time zones. :-)  Love you babe, and I can't wait to be married to you!

4 comments:

  1. I actually clicked the link not because of the title, but because I saw the picture of you and your lovely fiancé and was hoping for an update on how that's going. Thanks for rewarding my nosiness and congrats on only 100 more days as a single man. That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you are the sweetest! I love you too! Almost in the double digits now! Except thanks to that 8 hour time change you already are... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit it, I clicked on the link because of the title. I love that song; it always makes me think of the many times the military has caused me to have a jetlagged heart. I hope the next 100 days flies by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest thing! We miss both of you here at home. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the love you two share ;-)

    ReplyDelete