Monday, September 2, 2013

The best time to make friends is when nobody has any friends :-)

One of my favorite things to do is to meet people when nobody knows anyone.  First off, it means that no one has any impressions of anyone else.  How fantastic is that???  No "boxes" in which anyone has put anyone else, everyone is a little apprehensive.

To me, it always reminds me of HOBY, and that's when I THRIVE on getting to know people.  If you are super friendly to people when you first meet them, then their impression of you will almost always be a good one, at least for a while.  I appreciate it when someone is friendly to me when I have just entered a new situation, and it feels great to be friends with people who are entering a new situation themselves.  

Tonight dinner was great, specifically because I got to meet people who hadn't been here before yesterday or today and get to know them.  I must say, no one really said anything to each other, even though we are all in the same boat (well, except for those people who have been here for a couple of months, and they really don't count because I'm not talking about them).  However, what few things we did say to each other showed us that we will enjoy one another's company.  I really like Finnish people thus far.  They are generally extremely friendly, which has been great. :-)  And of course, I can't pass up speaking to some Germans. :-)
 
Today I finally got to do some work that does not involve Excel, and I got to utilize the skills that I feel I have learned in school.  I was supposed to synthesize information from a proposition that someone had written concerning a law, and I realized how this was something that I have practiced over and over whenever we read books or papers or something in classes.  I really think that is a skill that I will use a lot while I am here.
 
Here's a picture of me at work today.  Not to brag or anything, but I am looking mighty FLY :-)  I really like my new H&M shirt.  I also have a pink checkered one that I am planning on pulling out tomorrow.  Hopefully it's not too crazy for people.  However, I've already made first impressions right, so I'm good!

1 comment: