Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Two ships passing in the night and the Fountain of Youth

Two thoughts for today.  Actually, it will probably be one aspect of my life that I want to talk about and a societal observation.  You can decide for yourselves if those count as thoughts or not :-)  So first, the aspect of my life that I want to comment on.
 
I have my own personal Fountain of Youth.  Not literally of course, gosh, who would want to live forever?  But this fountain of youth serves basically the same purpose as the legendary one.  It gives the drinker the ability to live forever.  There is also only a single fountain of youth out there.  In the realm of the ICA, this room shown in the fountain of WiFi.  Being a modified convent, this place wasn't built with modern wiring for internet and other stuff in mind.  So, there is only one room that has three different routers in it for the different floors.  Naturally, my room is pretty much at the opposite end of the building from the router room.  Internet is ABSOLUTELY essential if you want to communicate with your family and fiance when you are a continent away.  So I have come to revere this room.  Every night for my nightly Skype session with Rebecca (who I love, just in case you haven't heard it from me in the last nine months yet), or this past Saturday for the Michigan-Western Michigan game I can be found in this room, greedily drinking in the WiFi that it provides.  Whereas I think most people have their networks and 4G to rely on, I do not, and therefore am completely dependent on the fountain of wifi that the router room has come to symbolize for me.  In another sense, the Fountain of Youth was often hid from people and only select individuals ever found it.  Strangely enough, no one else goes into the room like ever, so I am left alone to say whatever I want to the people I'm talking to.  With the walls in my room being as thin as they are (I am legitimacy concerned that my typing might wake up my neighbors), it also affords peace and quiet and doesn't disturb others.  This room has come to mean a lot to me :-)
 
On a completely different topic, I was walking home from the EP today, and noticed that this other guy was walking the same way as I was.  We were about the same height and walked at about the same pace (which is saying something given my legs), so we were walking right next to each other.  Little did I know that we would walk the exact same way almost the entire way home.  I finally turned and we left each other, but it made me think.  I'm sure many of you have had the same opportunity I have just described.  Have you ever been driving and end up behind a car that you follow through turns and twists for so long that you worry they think you are stalking them?  It's a little creepy.  But at the same time, I think that we all feel a sense of camaraderie.  Even though that guy and I didn't say anything to each other, there was a sense of unity in what we were doing together.  I think we all feel that way.  We are two ships passing in the night in the grand scheme of things, but at the same time we make some kind of connection with those people.  I sometimes wish I could see where THEY were eventually headed, and why they made the directional choices that they did to lead to the point where the two of us were walking side by side.  I find it fascinating that we do feel those connections with people like that, and I challenge you to talk to that person the next time it occurs.  Find out what they are doing and tell them about yourself, so that the unity that you feel can be strengthened by the bonds of actual communication. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Um, excuse me, unless I'm living in Bizarro world, last Saturday's game was against CENTRAL Michigan (and not Western). Are you sure that WiFi is working properly? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts cheese!! It is weird when the car goes your same direction for a long time.

    ReplyDelete